Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Week Two - Finished Truffle

Ok, so this time I was super good and made a muslin of the bodice and discovered that of course it was to big in the shoulders and armholes. This was the same problem I had with Violet for which I used the pivot method to alter the pattern. I didn't want to go this route this time because the shoulder seams are already pretty narrow and I didn't want to loose any more width to them. Instead, I pinched and pinned about an inch and a quarter down from the shoulder to make a new shoulder seam, I then transferred these changes onto the paper pattern and cut the real dress. This pulled up the armhole and the waist and fixed the fit problem. This was a very simple alteration and resulted in a much better fit for me.


You'll have to forgive my tired eyes and messy hair in this picture, I had just come home from my morning dog walking shift at the Humane Society. I also bought a new camera today and haven't quite worked out all the settings yet, but there will be more pictures to come when I do.

My sewing machine HATED this fabric, I used some sort of poly-blend I got from the thrift store, it has a very slippery and clingy texture. I used the right needle and thread tension but for some reason my stitches kept getting skipped. Most of my seams had to be done twice just to be safe, but that was the only annoying part of the whole project. I also sewed it a bit differently than the pattern instructions, I attached the lining to the bodice and pulled it right side out BEFORE attaching the skirt. I just found this to be a little easier with less fabric to pull through.

I really liked this pattern, I can see this as being a classic dress pattern to build off of. I've already thought of sewing it with different necklines and drapes, establishments and with full linings. The possibilities are really endless with this pattern.

It's starting too get cold here in these parts and the fabric I made my Truffle from is a bit light. I'm now on the lookout for the perfect cardigan to pair it with before I wear it out.

So that's it for this week, two very simple patterns makes for a nice and easy week. Next week will be more challenging, I am working with two dress patterns (Pastille and Licorice) where fit is absolutely crucial. I predict I will spending a lot of time making muslins to get them just right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment