Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Getting The Right Fit

I have had a lot of emails and comments from readers with great advice on getting my garments to fit better. I  have sewn five patterns so far and with each one I am getting closer and closer to finding the perfect fit, and the proper alterations to get there. None however, have been the exact right fit.

Where the garments seem to fit oddly is in the torso; the shoulders are too narrow, the armholes are too big and the darts sit to high which throws the bust off. I decided, with the help of some fellow sewists, to start with one size down, and work from there. Then I got thinking, the Meringue skirt fit perfectly no pattern at all  so I can't go down completely one size, I may have to grade from the smaller size at the bodice to the larger size at the skirt. This would make me pear shaped, especially considering another fit issue I haven't gotten to yet - my legs. I have always had bigger thighs than my pant size would allow. Things like skinny jeans are lost on me for it's either, thighs that fit and a waist that's too big, or vice versa. So I may have to grade even further to a larger size at the thighs when it comes to making patterns like Juniper and Clover, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I found a couple hours here and there this weekend and traced up a new, smaller pattern for Violet - my first project. I started with my master pattern and traced one size down from my previous Violet. I still narrowed the shoulders and shortened the armhole by 1 cm, and the fit is a lot better but it's not perfect. It still feels big in some places and now the bust is too small.


I am about to start my most difficult project to date, the tailored jacket Anise, and a level of frustration has hit me for the first time in this challenge. I NEED to get the fit right before I can continue to spend time and money on these projects.

I have ten days to complete Anise which is plenty of time if I can figure this all out. I am spending this entire week just on making muslins and getting fit down before I even buy my fabric. Today my plan is to trace my pattern and cut my first muslin. I have decided to start out by trying the smaller size with no adjustments and see how that works. Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. Have you considered a full bust adjustment? If you chose the blouse based on high bust measurement and then did an fba this would increase only in the bust. I'm a full on size 14 in Colette based on measurements alone - but I do a size 10 bust with FBA and grade for the waist. Might want to consider that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I finally have news about the Japanese fabric I was waiting for...my friend could'nt find any fabric that was at the same time pretty and not too expensive. So I'll probably be off to the fabric store this week-end - I must say the plaid you used to make the Violet above is quite inspirationnal! - or I'll see if I can squeeze the Violet pattern into one of my boyfriend's old shirts.
    So, you see, I'm still trying to follow!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete