Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week Three - Licorice Dress

Morning all, so today is all about making Licorice. I am super excited about this pattern and I have made some headway already with making the muslin and cutting my fabric.


This is probably one of the only patterns of the Colette collection that I am going to slightly "change" the design of. I have decided to make two style changes to the dress; narrowing the sleeve by about six inches and using a facing as my elastic casing not bias binding, and drafting a completely new peter pan collar without tucks and a lace overlay. My changes are purely a matter of personal style, and I want to make something I'm going to get a lot of use out of.

For anyone interested in making their Licorice with the peter pan collar, I will make a little photo tutorial to be posted here later this week..

So this time I altered the pattern before making the muslin, I think now I can just assume that all the patterns are going to be too big in the shoulders and armholes. I combined narrowing the shoulder by 1.5cm using the pivot method, with lowering the shoulder seam by 2cm using a simple slash to get my perfect fit. And it does fit perfectly.


So now that I have everything prepped and ready to go, my task for the rest of the day is to sew it up. I feel if I can stay focused and have many cups of black mint tea, I should have it finished by tonight. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if maybe you're starting with a size too large which is requiring the adjustments since the shoulders/armholes are too big. Of course, if it works it works and to me making muslins and adjusting is just exhausting but the Pastille does look a bit large in the bust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Burke, funny you should say that because I was thinking the same. I had some time today so I decided to remake my Violet blouse one size smaller. I still had to make some adjustments to the shoulders and armhole but the fit is A THOUSAND times better. So I'm going to use the smaller size for the rest of my projects.
    Thanks for the advice, you're totally right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting. For my Peony I cut a size 0 for my shoulders and graded all the way out to a 6 in the hips. Crazy as I don't look massively pear shaped. Those were my measurements though and then I ended up taking in the skirt seams over an inch! Really looking forward to see your Pastille finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I know, I don't think I'm that pear shaped either but I guess you learn more and more about your body when you sew! I'm curious what I'll discover when I get to making Juniper!

    ReplyDelete